All Saints Church
Our present church stands on the site of previous church and chapel buildings, the earliest dating back to the early 14th century. This church was opened and dedicated to All Saints on Friday April 19th 1901. Its architect was Mr J Oldrid Scott, the uncle of Sir Giles Gilbert Scott who designed Liverpool Anglican Cathedral and Battersea Power Station. Its most striking feature is the Tower, which, with square lower stages, leads through an octagonal upper part, which is very tall in proportion and which is surmounted by a lofty, lead covered spire. Its total height is 112 feet.
The four old bells from the previous church were recast and a fifth added. The old font was used and the choir stalls came from Rangemore church. Many items were presented
in memory of loved ones, including the east window, the pulpit, the
chancel screen, the Cross and candle-sticks, the reredos and the
fine Tree manual organ, which has 21 speaking stops, additional coupler and toe positions. It was built in 1865.
The grey stone of which the church is built was brought from Pately
Bridge and the red stone from Hollington. The tiles of the old church were used on the new, the old bricks were used in the foundations,
the white stonework from round the windows and doors was reused in the new vestry.
Brian Draper plays the organ and leads the village choir, who sing on occasions throughout the year. If you are interested in joining the choir please ring Brian on 01283 813078.
The Churchwarden is Brian Beck, who can be contacted on 01283 575743 .
Services are held every Sunday at 10am and everyone is most welcome. Joint services are held from time to time with our sister churches at Draycott in the Clay, Hanbury, Rangemore and Tutbury. On Christmas Eve we hold a family Carol Service at 5pm.
Jubilee Room for Hire
The Jubilee Room with kitchenette and toilet facilities is available for hire please contact the Churchwarden. The church lights can be switched on for you to celebrate a special occasion at a nominal cost.